temp

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Holidays on ice...

Xmas Eve I was a little stir crazy after being kooked up for a day so I went out after sunset to see what I could find. The evening was calm and the walk was pleasant yet not fruitful for hotspots. I went down to the converted rail bridge over the river, just opposite of the police station. There are overhangs midway and it was a nice spot to pause and reflect. I eventually found The Beechwood Lounge in East Village barely open and pounded 2 for 1 pints of passable beer. On the way back home I hit the bar in the Savory for a grossly overcharged brew, but I did have a complimentary bowl of snacks.

On the whole, holidays while living downtown suck. Everything is closed, and I can't go anywhere by bus. The only good thing I can say about holidays is that they make a good day for travel, that doesn't take up your vacation time, nor time spent with far-flung friends. Someday I should screw up the courage to fly. My friends in Vegas have a New Mexican Xmas, complete with Xmas cheese tamales! Plus I could go downtown to the Gold Spike and let the Korean bartender with the thick accent and crooked teeth ply me with double whiskeys while I blow a twenty on video poker, unless the smoke is bad. For the Gold Spike that is a matter of debate at any time of day. Last time I tried to gamble there I had a sinus infection so I gave up after fifteen minutes and went to the movies.

No comments: