temp

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Iowa City, Trip 2, Feb. 2009, Part 2

February 23, 2009 – Upon waking the next day I took note of the room's amenities which included a complimentary issue of USA Today. What?!?! Can't one get the local rag? I fixed up some weak decaf and went through the task of applying for unemployment benefits online. I was relieved to get through the lengthy entry process and now must call back the following Saturday to claim it.


What the Hamburg Inn does best.

Sporting my newly acquired bling from Kubby's bead shop.
I showered up to the tingly delight of the complimentary minty body wash, slapped on some fresh rags and went out unto the chilly morning for a seat at the Hamburg and do a repeat of my last visit and order up the Mexican Deluxe omelet with home fries, English muffin and coffee. Why stray from a good thing?

Afterward I enjoyed a nice visit with proud business owner Karen Kubby at the bead shop she and her sister recently acquired. I was happy to find the stone circle I ogled on my last visit, and with Karen's help, built a necklace to show it off. I bid adieu with my booty and went back to the Iowa House for a respite.

Awoke from a man-sized siesta and dabbled in some Photoshop mischief. Getting up to take a leak I noted this about the bathroom mirror: I don't really want to watch myself pee. It's like I'm watching some German wassersport movie. Still going strong on my Hamburg breakfast, I ventured out to find some happy hour specials.

I settle down for a pint of Leinie Red at The Deadwood while listening to Blondie, and other assorted gems on the jukebox. For a joint with one of those Internet jukeboxes, the selections played tend to be non-contemporary. That and the digital photo booth are the most obvious signs of the passage of time inside The Deadwood.

Then I mosey down Dubuque St. and park my butt at DC's, where I quaff from a stein of Honkers Ale while the youth at the bar play a video machine photo comparison game. Some of the photo subjects are sporting exposed boobies, but bikini bottoms are an absolute requisite.

Next stop, just around the corner, was a Southwest-themed joint called Saloon. I scored a happy hour pint of Dos Equis Amber, and ordered up the hummus plate appetizer to quell my hunger. Three different flavor combinations, two different textures, and half off to boot!

Sated I hit the Tobacco Bowl for joe and a smoke, followed by a hot slice of tomato, fresh mozzarella and avocado at Mesa Pizza [see review].

It's much colder outside than the night before and I felt myself hitting the wall. I retreated back to the Memorial Union for a soda and snack before I hit the sack, watching Anthony Bourdain until sleep overtakes me.


February 24 – I regret consuming the hummus plate from Saloon. Have been in intestinal distress ever since. In fairness, the dish is meant to be shared. Also, pita bread would have been a heartier compliment instead of the tri-color tortilla chips served.

Got kicked in the teeth by Greyhound! The 2:25pm bus I was planning to catch does not run today. There's only a 5:40pm! But there is a Burlington Trailways bus leaving at 11:55am for $8 more. However, this bus would go to the Cedar Rapids airport, where I would endure a two-hour layover. Afterwards I'd have stops in Tama, Marshalltown and Ames before I'd finally get home to Des Moines. Still I'd be getting home two hours earlier.

I opted to purchase a ticket for the earlier but longer bus. With time to kill I went to New Pioneer Food Co-op and enjoyed a cheddar-laced meatloaf with smoked provolone cheese on sourdough bread, al fresco.

The ride home was fairly unremarkable, except for the meal break at a gas station, Steffensen's Highway 30, in Marshalltown. There's a little greasy spoon inside, fixing up hot eats, where I scored a double-batch of fried cheese balls to go. I happily munched away on the ride to Ames.
 
Photos from the Picasa Web Album: Iowa City & Coralville, February 2009.

No comments: