temp

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Labor Day Trip 2009, Part 7: The long ride home

Sept. 12th, 2009 12:51am – Ninety minute wait for the train in Kingman, Arizona. Pacing the street outside of the waiting room for Amtrak passengers. Trying to keep distance from a difficult family going to Missouri. Kids are high maintenance and dad is a little wound up.

A lively crowd spills out of a bar not too far down the main drag for a cigarette break. I'm so tempted to roll over for a drink, but the boisterous clientele appears sketchy to approach as a stranger passing thru, and the idea of riding coach with a buzz has little interest.

Fortunately it's a cool evening and I can wander down to the tracks to wait.

7:24am – It was a damn short night on the Amtrak coach. Was able to tape over the overhead light in the aisle, much to the appreciation of a fellow traveler seated across the aisle. The rest of the coach lights were turned once we pulled into Flagstaff.

9:02am – Got my sleeper in Gallup for pretty much $10 an hour for the remainder of the trip to Galesburg. Enjoying the simple luxury already. Alas, the toilets in my sleeper are non-functional. The conductor came on the intercom at Albuquerque to offer anyone inconvenienced a night's stay at a hotel in town and accommodations the next day. I was sorely tempted but was given little time to make a decision, so I opted to stay on.

So I missed an opportunity to spend the night in Albuquerque with room and board paid for. For me, being able to get around the train fairly easy, it was a minor annoyance to go to another car to relieve myself. But more importantly, I was unsure if I could get sleeper accommodations the next day. Accommodations that I had already paid 200+ bucks for already. A shame. If there were a mom-and-pop restaurant near my hotel, I could have had enchiladas with real, honest-to-goodness New Mexican chile. It IS the stuff.

5:56pm...

Las Vegas, again.
Las Vegas, New Mexico.
In the cold, cold rain.

7:05pm – Gray skies over Colorado. Clouds darken and open forth a deluge. Even the heavens lament my return.

Scenes from the Albuquerque Amtrak/Rail Runner train station platform.

Sept. 13th, 7:44am – Breakfast with spoiled couple while pulling into Kansas City. From their mouths came forth an unending stream of criticisms about Amtrak, and how service was so much better in the past. Next time do me a favor and fly you withered, privileged fucks. Less than five hours to Galesburg.

9:52am – Flying across Missouri at breakneck speed. As nature had intended.

Feeling kinda funky I splash in a weak stream of cold to lukewarm water inside the claustrophobic confines of the sleeper car shower. Madness! Having gone through all my undies I opt to go commando. Boi-oi-oi-oing!

4:45pm – Drinking Shiner Bock and eating salty popcorn at the Seminary St. Pub in Galesburg, Illinois. A good pit stop as always between trains [see blog post].

As the afternoon progresses serious drinkings ensues. Shots, rounds, bromance. I wish former acquaintance and co-worker, Abby Simons were here to round out the sausage fest. Not to mention she's just damn cute.

Buzzed, I wander back to the station platform and board the California Zephyr bound for the short haul to Ottumwa.

Burlington.

6:57pm – Ottumwa. 'Nuff said.

Sept. 14th, 10:56pm – Tiring of commercial break channel hopping, I ran down to the Owl's Nest for pizza and beers. I did try the Tom-Tom Tap but found the kitchen had already closed. No matter it was hard to resist a five-dollar Tombstone pizza, even though they cut it into small squares as opposed to wedges.

Sep 15th, 5:25pm – Home.

Photos from the Picasa Web Album: Gallup to Burlington

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the fact that the Ottumwa Wikipedia page has a section dedicated to the Canteen. Best. Burger. Evar.