temp

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

42 musical acts I've seen (Because I can't remember 50)

So to make up for my lack of memory retention I've tried to relay something about each performance. At the very least where I saw them.
  1. Accidental Sisters: Local band fronted by a former workmate.
  2. Arlo Guthrie: Hoyt Sherman. Sat in the back row.
  3. Ashley Sandor Sidon: Sheslow Auditorium at Drake. Hot MILFY cellist.
  4. Avery Creek Band: Used to watch over the bassman when he was a wee hellion. I call him Senor Tom.
  5. Atlanta Rhythm Session: Simpson College. Earliest concert recollection.
  6. B.B. King: Civic Center. My pal, Andy was annoyed with my exuberance so I got up and walked out after the third song.
  7. Bo Ramsey: Caught him with Lucinda Williams at Val Air.
  8. Bob Dylan: Iowa State Fair and Hilton Collesium.
  9. Charlie Musselwhite: Mississippi Valley Blues Festival.
  10. Debbie Davies: Blues on Grand. Got to talk with her and the owner over his battle with BMI and performance fees.
  11. Emmylou Harris: Farm Aid III.
  12. Gillian Welch: Hoyt Sherman. Sat in the front row of the balcony looking down upon an angel.
  13. Honeyboy Edwards: Mississippi Valley Blues Festival.
  14. Joan Jett: Westport in Council Bluffs.
  15. Joe Walsh: Kaufmann Stadium. Kinda strange.
  16. John Mellencamp: Farm Aid III.
  17. John Prine: C.Y. Stephens. Munson was a few rows away.
  18. Koko Taylor: Mississippi Valley Blues Festival. Could still "Wang Dang Doodle" all night long.
  19. Leo Kottke: Possibly at the Temple for the Performing Arts.
  20. Lonnie Brooks: Possibly three times. Most energetic bluesman I've beholden.
  21. Lou Reed: Farm Aid III in Lincoln. There was this saucer-eyed gal with a straight-line view of Lou onstage and still she lamented “I can't see him! I can't see him!”
  22. Lucinda Williams: Val Air Ballroom. Missed opportunity to visit her backstage but did get some beers from the roadies.
  23. Lucky Peterson: Hotel Ottumwa. Me and my pal, Raul, bumped into Lucky in the hallway and he asked if we had any smoke. Alas, we did not.
  24. Lyle Lovett: Farm Aid III.
  25. Merle Haggard: At Borsellino's concert at the Val Air. I was 10,000 feet away, standing room only in a cloud of smoke. I left and walked sixty blocks home.
  26. Nanci Griffith: Possibly Hoyt Sherman. The mind is not what it used to be.
  27. Neil Young: Farm Aid III. “This Bud's For You!”
  28. Nelson: I caught them a couple of years back at the What Cheer Opera House. Very good at what they do, which is performing to the crowd and reminiscing.
  29. Odyssey Duo: Viking Theatre at Grandview. Harp and cellist. Intimate venue.
  30. Patti Smith: Ah. Riviera Theatre, Chicago. I blew my ears out and had constant ringing for three months. Still can't do venues like Blues on Grand without plugs. Still, best performance ever.
  31. Platinum Blues Band: Sherman Hill Lounge. I was but a mere boy back then.
  32. Red Hot Chili Peppers: Lollapalooza III in St. Paul. Only band I can vividly recall. Best moment was shotgunning a doobie in a Kybo. I was the catcher.
  33. Ron Sexsmith: Opener for Lucinda at Val Air. Really good.
  34. Ronnie Baker Brooks: A son of the master. Seen with Dad, and solo probably at Blues on Grand.
  35. Saffire: Mississippi Valley Blues Festival.
  36. Sam Miller: Former frontman for the Accidental Sisters. Likely at Java Joe's.
  37. Steppenwolf: Farm Aid III. That's when the shit went down. Fun times.
  38. Sue Foley: Hotel Ottumwa. I danced up a storm, solo and with female. A firecracker!
  39. Taj Mahal: Several times. Last at the Maintenance Shop.
  40. The Chieftains: Holiday Inn downtown. Good fun.
  41. The Taz Band: Another throwback to the Sherman Hill Lounge. I may still have a Tombstone Pizza sign with Brian “Taz” Grant's signature on it.
  42. Willie Nelson: Farm Aid III.
If the ole' brain pan were working I could probably recollect some more at Hoyt Sherman, Val Air, Mississippi Valley Blues Festival, the Safari, Connie's Lounge and the Hotel Ottumwa. But, you know, when I croak it won't matter.

No comments: