temp

Monday, July 5, 2010

Orsi's Italian Bakery in Omaha

I came across this slice of heaven doing a Google search for pizza joints near the Old Market area. At first I balked at making the trek all the way down to Pacific St. and back, but wanderlust and curiosity prevailed.

I'm already a little familiar with the neighborhood due to the proximity of the Amtrak station, but had no idea that just a few blocks down the hill was this marvelous Italian bakery.

Inside, your gaze shifts from the deli counter on the left to the wall of baked goods on the right. And what a fine selection of breads they had. If I wasn't intent on pizza, I could have bought a couple bags of biscotti and noshed on those for the evening.

The pizza pies come in rectangular sheets instead of rounds, except for the mini pizza. Sizes range from quarter sheets, through half and full sheets. The quarter sheet, consisting of six square slices, easily feeds one to three people depending on appetite. That night, upon returning to my hotel, I destroyed a quarter sheet combo pizza.

The slices are thick, comparable to Godfather's Pizza. Light on sauce, generous on cheese. The sausage, instead of being in chunks, is broken up fine and is evenly distributed under the cheese for uniform flavor in every bite.

Normally if I'm exploiting a ride to Omaha, one of my goals is to hit a Runza for a sack or two of their frozen meat Twinkies. Now, I have to add a sheet of this hearty pie to my must haves. I just don't think it would survive the trip back to Des Moines. Better order TWO quarter sheets.
Orsi's Italian Bakery and Pizzeria on Urbanspoon Photos from the Picasa Web Album: Orsi's Italian Bakery

1 comment:

topcat said...

Garlic bread wasn't bad. I just prefer mine a little crispier. The pizza was really good though. Lots of cheese, thick crust, a nice change of pace.