temp

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Breakfast at Ceres Cafe, downtown Chicago

First morning in Chicago after a late arrival aboard Amtrak with about five hours of sleep once situated at the Club Quarters Loop Hotel on W. Adams.

Seeking sustenance I walk down to W. Jackson and grab a java at Lavazza. Good coffee. Starts off smoother than what I prefer, but the flavor grows on you as the morning progresses. Coffee in hand I spot signage for the Ceres Cafe inside the Chicago Board of Trade Building.

Once seated I order chilaquiles and orange juice. I normally associate chilaquiles in the fashion served at the Tejas Cafe in El Paso: fried corn tortilla, whole or cut up into triangles before frying, topped with eggs and sauce.

By themselves, the chilaquiles are very tasty and palatable for those who shy away from spicy food. Paired with Ceres' homemade salsa the dish pops! The salsa is spicy, with some heat and a refreshing tartness. The guacamole, creamy and mild, also has a nice lime tartness. I couldn't bear diluting either the gauc or the chilaquiles by topping it on the dish so I ate it on the side as a schmear on their hearty wheat toast, nicely browned and laced with wheat-berries.
Ceres Cafe on Urbanspoon Photos from the Picasa Web Album: Sept. 2010 Vacation

No comments: