temp

Friday, March 11, 2011

Centro to Go-Go; Waxing nostalgic for Battani's

I like the pizzas at Centro. Baked in a coal-fired brick oven, with that crispy, chewy, smoky crust, topped with lovely, melted, fresh mozzarella. Centro filled the desire for a more urbane, hip pizza downtown long before Fong’s, Flour and Gusto hit the scene.

I will admit missing Battani’s, the old school pizza joint in Capital Square that closed last September. Fresh out of the oven, it was delish, especially the crust around the edges. But after sitting around for more than a few minutes, not so much. I would hit them up around closing time, snagging unsold slices on the cheap. I'd take them home, nuke ‘em, peel off and eat the cheese and toppings first, then nosh on the crust with generous doses of Tapatío hot sauce. Hot sauce at night, morning's delight.

But I digress from Centro.

One late November evening last year I ordered up The New Yorker for carryout. Fresh mozzarella, sliced meatballs, roasted red pepper, mushrooms and sauce; all these components are standouts in their own right.

I liked Centro's thinly-sliced meatballs. A lot! The taste of the mushrooms and red peppers complimented their meaty flavor just right. It’s a good pie.

Centro on Urbanspoon Photo from the Picasa Web Album: Reviewed Foods

No comments: