temp

Monday, March 28, 2011

What's "the gossip" in Valley Junction? Chisme, of course.

UPDATE: Chisme has since closed.

Recently, the inaugural event for the Greater Des Moines Pizza Tournament came to El Chisme Taqueria & Pizzeria (now simply known as Chisme) in Valley Junction to sample the Mexican/Italian fusion cuisine of Chef Jesus Ojeda.

I came earlier in the day for brunch, intent on trying a breakfast pizza. At the suggestion of Chef Jesus, I ordered a pie with homemade chorizo, red onion, eggs and jalapeños, drizzled with chipotle sauce.

While I awaited my pie, I enjoyed a fine, zesty Bloody Mary, garnished with lime and celery.

The pizza put before me was a delight to behold and eat. Thin, crispy crust: evenly browned underneath. Scrambled egg and chorizo, sandwiched between cream sauce and cheese, stayed moist. Red onion and jalapeño atop the cheese kept some crunch while adding a pleasing look. A finishing drizzle of creamy chipotle sauce lent flavor and kicked up the aesthetics another notch. “BAM!” indeed.

Even the leftovers got rave reviews.

Breakfast pizza with homemade chorizo, red onion, eggs, jalapeños and drizzled with chipotle sauce.

This was my first visit to El Chisme in Valley Junction since moving from their original location at Merle Hay and Urbandale. Below are some of the fine meals I enjoyed there.

Clockwise from top left: Divorced Eggs, Eggs El Chisme, Super bean tacos with yellow rice, breakfast burrito.

El Chisme's calzone: Crispy, chewy, crunchy, melty, savory.
El Chisme Taqueria & Pizzeria on Urbanspoon

No comments: