temp

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Glorify your breakfast at Peg's Glorified Ham n Eggs.

The last time I stayed in Reno back in 2007 I had a delightful breakfast at Peg's Glorified Ham n Eggs on Sierra, a stone's throw south of the Truckee River as it courses through downtown. In anticipation of a similar experience I easily talked a friend into breakfast on a recent visit.

My dining companion went for her standard breakfast of eggs, bacon and hash browns, while I sought spicier fare with a Cajun Benedict with Cajun sausage, topped with a chipotle Hollandaise sauce, including a side of hash browns and slice of melon. I also opted to Glorify [my] Breakfast with added sides of pico de gallo, cabbage slaw, and pinto beans.

Peg's prides themselves with the plethora of Benedicts they offer and mine was none less tasty. The sausage was spicy but not picante, the poached eggs were perfect, and the chipotle Hollandaise sauce was awe inspiring. Rich and creamy but sporting a serious kick. The slice of raw jalapeño atop made for an appropriate garnish: a portent of things to come. The plank of hash browns were crisp and not oily.

The pico of tomato, cucumber, corn and onion was unique and clean tasting with its light flavors. Cabbage slaw with a few whiskers of carrot was appealingly crisp; a little oily but not off-putting. Pintos with a sprinkling of shredded cheddar were firm and tasty.

My friend's rasher of bacon was substantial enough to offer me a few slices to enjoy; thick and crisp!

For any visit to Reno, Peg's Glorified Ham n Eggs is an appropriate start to a day of adventure, or in my case a late morning spent lounging in bed, sated.

Peg's Glorified Ham & Eggs on Urbanspoon

No comments: