temp

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Manhattan Deli on Ingersoll: Quality Purveyors of the Sandwich Arts.

I lived on Ingersoll Ave. for seven years but I don't ever recall visiting the Manhattan Deli during that time. Though I'm pretty sure they didn't stay open as late back then to accommodate my post-work feeding requirements. Recently I visited the deli to enjoy a few of their fine sandwiches

First I tried the Egg Salad on wheatberry with lettuce and tomato. The egg salad is thick and chunky, even the yolk boasts a chunk here and there. I'd eat this straight from a container.

The Reuben with corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing and pickle on dark Russian is mighty fine. Piled high, tender, and tasty.

The Zach Johnson – named after the Iowa-born and raised Masters winning golf pro – is a magnificent ham sandwich with salami, pepperoni, provolone and hot pepper cheeses, lettuce, tomato, onion, mayo and oil on a soft hoagie. Moist and zesty, everything works on this build!

Sides were a mixed bag. The baked beans were mushy but I like that at times. Toothy squares of mystery meats add flavor and textural appeal. The simple slaw is a bit rich, and could use a vinegary bite to balance the flavor. I'd suggest it as a sandwich topper but not on its own.

Manhattan Deli on Urbanspoon

No comments: