temp

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Italian steak rolls, assorted eats and experiments at B&B Grocery, Meat & Deli.

Watching John A. Jr. make a batch of Italian steak rolls shows how much the guys at B&B Grocery, Meat & Deli excel at their craft. John started off with a round steak cut thin and tenderized, then topped it with pickled banana pepper rings and roasted red bell pepper before applying layers of pepperoni, capicola, pepper jack and mozzarella cheeses, and capped it with a finishing layer of B&B’s housemade Italian sausage.

John then muscled this bad boy into a bicep-thick roll which he enrobed with string netting before slicing it into hefty medallions. B&B’s website suggests these as a “very flavorful addition to your Thanksgiving feast,” but you don't have to wait that long to try them.

I recently expanded my repertoire of favorite sandwiches when I tried Zach's Italian Killer. The sandwich is a delectable combination of Italian roast beef, salami, capicola, pepperoni, provolone and hot pepper cheeses, banana and red bell peppers, lettuce, and Italian dressing. It’s become a popular item at B&B, hence the impressive counter signage. If you can spare a couple of minutes, get your sandwich toasted. The flavor of the spicy meats blossoms!

Jolene, pictured above right, has been rolling up some tasty homemade enchiladas that I was fortunate to sample. These enchiladas are not a menu item, but that doesn’t mean B&B is bereft of Mexican fare. Their house recipe chorizo is superb! And B&B’s crispy deep-fried tacos are a must try!

The last time I ordered a double cheeseburger at B&B, some of the younger sandwich makers were working on a rather successful attempt at a Juicy Lucy, the iconic Minneapolis sandwich where the burger patty is stuffed with cheese. I was rather envious, but that didn't stop me from polishing off my fine burger.

My own opportunity for experimentation came when I asked for a thickly cut grilled bologna sandwich. I kept the build simple with squirts of mayo and mustard. The richness of the warm bologna made the mayonnaise redundant. I’m game to revisit this sandwich with a serving of B&B’s deviled eggs laid atop the hefty slice of bologna. Its no Juicy Lucy, but maybe we can call it the Slakingfool Killer. Or would Heart Attack on a Tenderloin Bun be more appropriate?

The youth surprised me with another experimental sandwich on my last visit, crafting a grinder/burger combo named after Kansas City rapper Mac Lethal. The pairing of spicy grinder meat with a perfectly prepared burger, plus a slice of melted jack, red bell and banana peppers, and a smear of mayo makes for one sick sandwich!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How hard would it be to get a Mac Lethal delivered to a long standing B&B food and comedy critic? Can't wait to taste the melding flavors while the aroma stirs my anticipation! I'll be expecting your delivery boys....!
Thank you! MJM