temp

Monday, August 4, 2014

Way out in the middle of nowhere.

May Trip to Reno, Part 7;
May 11-12, 2014

It’s been a decent ride over from Iowa to Reno aboard Amtrak’s California Zephyr. I’ve been lucking out so far this year with refurbished Superliner I cars for sleeping accommodations. With much roomier toilets and shower, I hope never to ride a cramped Superliner II model again.

Big mistake eating all the pasta on my dinner plate the previous evening in eastern Utah. My blood glucose shot up 32 points overnight. Also my stomach still thinks its two hours ahead so I'm ravenously hungry with ninety minutes to breakfast.

Pulling into Winnemucca, a honey wagon serviced the coach cars. An extra poopy bunch aboard this train?

At Reno I met up with pal Yvonne and accompanied her around town, first to breakfast at Cafe DeLuxe where Yvonne enjoyed a delightful plate of migas with a side of heirloom tomatoes, then on to canvass a garden supply store where I spotted some rather interesting spice blends.

Settled into Yvonne’s place for the afternoon and evening, I gave her a gift of a comic book panel, repurposed into a button by pal and Esty artist Sara Briddell. It makes for a fine kitchen accent.

The next morning was the start of an adventure: A day-long drive out to Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park, via U.S. Route 50 in Nevada, better known as The Loneliest Road in America. Stopping first at the neighborhood 7-Eleven I was enthralled with the well-stocked coffee creamer and flavor container carousels.

About ninety minutes into our trip we took a break in Fallon for breakfast at The Courtyard Cafe and Bakery. Yvonne got the Everything Quiche with bacon, spinach, mushroom, onion, and seasonal vegetable, with a side of the warmly spiced zucchini Breakfast Bread, and I ordered a Florentine Benedict with potatoes.

At The Courtyard Cafe & Bakery in Fallon, from left: Everything Quiche; Breakfast (zucchini) Bread.

A Florentine Benedict with potatoes at The Courtyard Cafe & Bakery in Fallon. The yolk was firm, but overall quite delicious.

It was indeed a long, lonely drive past Fallon, and it got even lonelier when we turned south on Nevada 361. Another turn off onto and a short climb up a mountain pass and we were truly way out in the middle of nowhere.

A lonely turnoff on Nevada 361 - the Gabbs Highway.

No comments: