temp

Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Ice cream and donuts save the day!

Looking for a new breakfast spot, I took a bus up to Archie's Giant Hamburgers & Breakfast for a Basco Benedict, below left, with chorizo in place of ham, topped with avocado and fresh jalapeΓ±o, and choice of potatoes. The dish looked promising until I started cutting into the Benedict. There I found the chorizo was still in its casing. After eating a bite I wasn't positive the casing was edible, i.e. collagen based. So I scraped the sausage off the casing as best as I could, wrecking the Benedict in the process. Everything tasted fine and the staff were more than accommodating even to my questioning of their chorizo source, US Foods it turned out as "an easy-to-use 2-1/2 lb. chub". I wrote this off as a grill cook's blunder, but it did sour my morning.

I managed to salvage the day with a visit to Simple Ice Cream Sandwiches at S. Virginia and Center where they pair Doughboys Donuts with premium ice cream from Hoch Family Creamery out of Minden, Nevada. I throughly enjoyed a maple-frosted raised donut with a scoop of coffee toffee ice cream, above right. And for only four bucks, its an affordable treat that's hard to beat!

No visit to Reno is complete without a visit to See's Candies in Meadowood Mall. The staff are always sure to offer a sample to whet your appetite. On my first visit, not only did I receive a sample piece, but also a handful of Cafe Latte Krispys with my purchase. Returning the following week, I bought a box of Krispys as a gift. Well played, See's.

No comments: