temp

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Night trip to Winterset

Taking advantage of a few hours to wander around Winterset I was let off on the north side and made my way down First St. to the town square. I should have gotten a bite to eat at Frostee's or the Northside Cafรจ before closing time; I would have regrets later. I was more intent on visiting a familiar bar on the southeast corner of the square, the Pheasant Run. And it turned out to be a Packer bar! Quite unexpected for an area that's traditionally split between Chicago and Kansas City teams. I quaffed a few bottles of Moose Drool before resuming my stroll.

I took a walk around the square, finding much longing in not coming here earlier in the day. The soda fountain at Montross Pharmacy would have been a swell place for a bite to eat and a refreshing beverage. Remembering a bar back up north from whence I came, I backtracked pausing to take a picture of a sign for a street named after a friend. Not John Wayne, BTW.

The bar back up north, the Sports Page, was a sprawling establishment full to bursting with patrons. I found the hubbub a bit much and moseyed over to a nearby Hy-Vee in hopes that the Market Grille would still be open for some food and a less hectic atmosphere. The latter was quite evident, as it had just closed.

Feeling quite hungry now I looked over a selection of cold entrees. Of those I would care to eat I had a choice of pancakes with decidedly not sausage, or biscuits and gravy. I chose the latter which would ultimately lead to "RegretFast" (regret + breakfast) as the clock was coming upon a quarter-to-eleven. Still it was only four bucks. I threw a chunk at the barking dog I kept passing by on my ups-and-downs along First St. Didn’t shut it up though.

Returning to the Pheasant Run, I noted a generation change from the fifty-somethings who greeted me earlier to a more rowdy twenty-something crowd. I nursed through a lone beer before retreating to a nearby Kum & Go for an enormous fountain beverage for the ride home.

No comments: