temp

Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Recent bites and sips at Centro and Django

It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a Half-Price Pizza Monday at Centro. On this visit I ordered a George's Favorite calzone, above, with mozzarella, Graziano Brothers' Italian sausage, roasted red pepper, and red onion, with a side of marinara, below left, for dipping and slurping. For an aperitif I enjoyed a fine Boulevardier cocktail, below right, of rye whiskey, sweet vermouth, and Campari. Happy to note that Peroni pale lager is back on tap, which is also half-priced on Monday nights; I quaffed two pints! Much leftovers for a late-night snack plus breakfast.

Left, A fine martini at Django with J. Rieger's Midwestern Dry Gin. A traditional London Dry style, distilled from wheat and flavored with juniper, coriander, angelica root, licorice root, and orange peel; 92.2 proof. Soon I received an unexpected lagniappe, a cheese and charcuterie plate, center. I shared this with a fellow bar patron and even dabbled in a bit of the pate. The end result: a two martini visit ended up being four. Paired with three beers enjoyed earlier at The Walnut, I ended up with a solid hangover. On my way home, I grabbed a day old loaf from Jimmy John's with the intent of eating it that night. Instead I went on the nod. So the next afternoon I took the now well crusty bread and made pizza boats.

No comments: