temp

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bus ride to Chicago, Oct. 2008

The day started out pretty crappy, literally. I went to bed with a case of diarrhea and it just kept going as the night wore on. Frantic, I waited for Walgreens to open up so I could snag some Imodium AD, but by that time the symptoms seemed to be waning.

I took my chances with a Burger King breakfast and everything pretty much stayed in place.

The ride over was not too bad but likely I'll not take that particular route again. It starts out light in Des Moines, but from Cedar Rapids on we kept picking up passengers. Not full enough though to lose out on my elbow room.
Dubuque certainly had the potential for a good bar crawl. There was one bar just a stone's throw from the bus stop, touting the big game trophies displayed inside with a mural outside of various game animals. I would like liked to have just hopped there and checked the joint out. I am reminded of the old Antler's bar in Des Moines, with its display of trophy heads staring down at you. It made ordering a Schlitz and a shot of Vat 69 somewhat surreal.

If only I could get a cold frosty bottle of Dubuque Star. I've lived too long. All the little things keep going away, like a steady paycheck.

From Galena to Stockton was fairly picturesque but all on two lane road and we had to pass through a number of small burgs along the way. Parts of Galena were quaint and a touch artsy-fartsy. I could see spending a weekend there if there were bars to carouse in and affordable rooms.
Sitting in the bar at the Chicago O'Hare Garden Hotel, drinking my overpriced beer and whiskey, unable to get an Internet connection.

I am finally feeling free of the shackles of my everyday existence back in Des Moines. I kept telling everybody that I didn't want to come back and I really, really don't. I know I'm nobody special and I should suffer out just like everyone else. Maybe if I came home everyday to a loving embrace and the frequent squiggle I might have the courage to stand up to the slings and arrows of corporate servitude.

I am somewhat bummed out about not having Internet access, but I reckon I've gotten a little spoiled.

I just ordered up a pepperoni and onion pizza to go from the kitchen and another Labatt's Blue. I'm feeling good. I did get a fairly decent egg salad sandwich in Stockton on the way over, but with the whiskey and the beer I feel a bit peckish. I shouldn't be drinking at a hotel bar, pricey as it is, but at least I'm not over at the Hooters across the parking lot.

On the hoof over from where the bus dumped me off I noticed a neighborhood greasy spoon, Mac's Restaurant, that had an appeal to it. Maybe it was the counter seating, or the advertised ham-on-the-bone steaks. Not that's my bag, but I'd think Siegel would enjoy it being a fan of the ham steak. I so wanted to go downtown and do breakfast at Lou Mitchell's, but fuck this could be a find. Also I wouldn't need to get my ass on the road so soon to get down the road so to speak. But the barkeep piped up when I mentioned Lou Mitchell's, so maybe I should keep to the original plan.

I like this laptop I bought, a Gateway M-6827, but we're still getting used to it. I'm glad I got a decent sized keyboard. Well the pizza's here and it's time to go back to the room and gorge. Hopefully you'll get my missive when I get to the Caribou Coffee at Union Station tomorrow.

No comments: