temp

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A visit to the Coffee Cup Cafe in Old Town Boulder City

After a visit to the Mike O'Callaghan – Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge spanning the Colorado River I had the opportunity for lunch at the popular Coffee Cup Cafe in Old Town Boulder City. The Coffee Cup has garnered some attention of late on a segment of Food Network’s Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives, and having been selected as the staff pick for Best Diner/Coffee Shop of 2011 in the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s The Best of Las Vegas poll.

Famished I ordered up the hot meatloaf sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy, and a cup of chili while my partner selected a spinach omelet with hash browns and toast.

The simple ground beef and bean chili was quite good. I would order it again easily, even a bowlful with cheese and onions. My pal’s omelet was well received but in her words to our server, “The hash browns sucked.” Indeed they were underdone and only slightly browned on one side. We were given a discount, a gesture that I appreciated much.

The meatloaf on my plate was plentiful and had a satisfying homey texture with the odd crunch of minced onion per bite. The potatoes were decent enough. Lacking any tell-tale lumps I could not ascertain if these were truly mashed or instant. The gravy was quite thick and beefy. And as expected the slice of white bread underneath served little purpose.

Aside from the pale hash browns it was a good meal and fueled our shopping efforts, though my compatriot required further sustenance at the Boulder Dam Brewing Co. Onion rings and a pint of craft beer fit the task well.

Coffee Cup Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments: