temp

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Dunkin' Donuts: Le beignet nouvelle du jour.

Finally given an opportunity to visit the Dunkin' Donuts in West Des Moines after its clamorous opening weeks, I came intent on sampling several of their breakfast sandwiches.

I started off with an Egg White Flatbread sandwich. The multi-grain flat bread tastes hearty enough, the slice of reduced-fat cheddar and the egg white disc embedded with bits of bell peppers and mushrooms is edible enough, but I wouldn't order it again.

The Smoked Sausage Breakfast Sandwich is more to my liking. I would return for this savorier-than-average offering. Porky, smoky sausage with a full-octane egg patty and American cheese, it's everything I want in a breakfast sandwich, or so I thought [blog post to come].

Feeling obliged to try the doughnuts I ordered up a trio. The Old Fashioned is simple but surprisingly tasty.

The glazing on the Red Velvet distracts, making it hard to gauge the flavor of the doughnut. Not the best expression of the Red Velvet arts. A better one can be had at nearby Donut King [see blog post].

The French Cruller is mighty pretty to look at. Light on the inside, it disappears in your mouth. The firmer crust offers some textural appeal. I'd enjoy it more without the glaze.

Dunkin' Donuts on Urbanspoon

No comments: