temp

Sunday, December 1, 2013

A Friday in Omaha: Goin' to the dogs for a cup of joe.

On a visit to Omaha in September I had spotted a coffee shop just south of the bus station in a building that once occupied an old dive—the Diamond Bar. This shop, called Howlin' Hounds Coffee, not only retained much of the bar's fixtures and charm, but is also run by a member of the family that owned the bar and building.

Howlin' Hounds is also dog friendly, as evidenced by the retrievers lounging behind the bar, and the homage above the front window to Constance Depler Coleman's Bar Hounds. Patrons of the Greenwood Lounge in Des Moines should be familiar with the work, in wallpaper form. Happy to find a new watering hole, I settled down with a doppio con panna and friendly conversation with the barista/owner.

Vintage dive bar urinals, Bar Hounds, and a doppio con panna.

After that well made espresso beverage, I was pleased to notice they carried some of San Pellegrino's Italian sodas. I'm especially fond of the Limonota, which is what I ordered next with ice. I would repeat that order 48 hours later as a parting beverage before returning home to Des Moines.

I should note that Howlin' Hounds is a block south of the bus station at 16th and Jackson. If you've got a significant layover and need a good cup of joe, or an excuse to get away from that dinky, seedy station, Howlin' Hounds is open Tuesday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., and weekends from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. For evenings I'd suggest a walk east to my usual watering hole in Omaha, 13th Street Coffee & Tea, just north of Jackson. Any other time and you're stuck with Cubby's, a convenience/grocery/deli/liquor store on the corner of 13th and Jackson.

It was a pretty long morning by the time I checked into my reasonably comfortable room at the Hilton Garden Inn on Dodge and Tenth. It was rather a warm day and I was still digesting my breakfast from earlier in the day [see blog post], so I sloughed off my travel clothes, jacked the air conditioning down to the Ice Age and took a mid-day nap.

Howlin' Hounds Coffee Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments: