temp

Friday, May 2, 2014

A New Year’s walkabout in Reno.

Holiday Trip to Las Vegas and Reno, Part 12
January 1, 2014

I spent New Year’s Day in Reno on a idle walk, starting off with a decaf at Java Jungle (now simply The Jungle) on W. First, a stone’s throw from the Truckee River.

After strolling a portion of the Riverwalk I sought out breakfast, and on the recommendation of an elderly gent I met on the street, I came upon Brickie’s Tavern, a friendly neighborhood dive on W. Second. There I enjoyed the New Year's Day breakfast special, Huevos Rancheros, with a Bloody Mary to wash it down.

Inspirited after a satisfying meal I walked down to the Powning District, where I popped into Dorinda's Chocolates for a sweet treat, and trendy Hub Coffee Roasters next door for a freshly made drip coffee. Dorinda’s Sea Salt Caramel was exceptional! A sale on Peppermint Bark compelled me to buy a bag for Yvonne. Sampled later in the evening, it was not lacking for peppermint flavor that I find so prevalent with many other barks.

I returned to the Riverwalk to relax a bit before a brief visit to the Amtrak station, and from there I trekked several miles of S. Virginia, with a quick whiskey at Shea’s Tavern along the way.

I had been on my feet for the better part of five hours and was ready settle down for the afternoon when I spotted the signage for the Polo Lounge in strip mall just south of Mt. Rose St. If you’re driving down S. Virginia, its easy to miss.

Inside I find a classic cocktail lounge, with red leather seats, framed pictures of patrons, friends and family bedecking the walls, roomy booths with tiger manquΓ© upholstered backs, and most surprising of all its a non-smoking establishment – always a pleasure to find in Nevada. I enjoyed a superbly crafted, Worcestershire-laden Bloody Mary before linking up with Yvonne for the ride home.

Dorinda's Chocolates on Urbanspoon

No comments: