temp

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Soft opening at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill

I was invited to enjoy a complimentary meal at a soft opening at Firebirds Wood Fired Grill's new location at S. 68th off Mills Civic Parkway in West Des Moines. In the past I would usually avoid such offers, but after a year of underemployment I was game for a free meal.

I enjoyed my lunch at Firebirds thoroughly, but the degree of attentiveness I received was more than I'm accustomed too; I was feted on over the course of my meal by at least a half-dozen staff. I could only assume at time the extra attention I received was due to the soft opening environment.

My meal consisted of American Kobe-style beef meatloaf with a portabello mushroom sauce, spiced pecan green beans, plus a side of green chile macaroni and cheese. The meatloaf was tender and quite delicious. The sauce though was unevenly seasoned; it started out fine but got more salty as I progressed with the meal.

The green chile macaroni and cheese was creamy, zesty, and exhibited the tiniest hue of green. For a simple side the spiced pecan green beans were properly al dente and not over-seasoned.

For an appetizer I tried the Ranch Rings: panko-breaded onion rings and a thick roasted garlic ranch dressing. The rings were just par, but the dressing was decent enough for a salad. For dessert, I enjoyed a sexy crème brûlée cheesecake: creamy with a crisp caramel shell. I was awestruck!

No comments: