temp

Saturday, June 3, 2017

Bumming about in Ottumwa

Between my drop-off from the bus and boarding a westbound California Zephyr, I spent my time in Ottumwa with lunch at Canteen Lunch in the Alley, an iced coffee at Market on Main, and cocktails at the Tom-Tom Tap. Along with way too much time out in the sun: a couple of dirtheads loitered at the train station's waiting room for the entire day, killing off one of my favorite down-time haunts.

One was a motor-mouth of epic proportions and the primary reason why I only went inside the station to relieve myself. Nearing boarding time, he came outside to disturb my peace with unwarranted banter and cigarette smoke. "Where are you going?", he asked. "West" I shot back. Further attempts to engage me were all shot down with simple, terse replies. Exasperated he laments, "I was just trying to engage in conversation!" So glad I wasn't riding coach on this trip.

The other turned out to have just gotten out of jail from being thrown off the train the day before. This mope straight up slept inside the station for hours on end when not jabbering along with 'motor-mouth'. I last spotted him trackside in Omaha, as the train continued on without him. I don't think that was part of his plan.

I have seen the light, left, and it is beefy. Canteen Lunch in the Alley's signature loose-meat sandwich, center. Right, 'Lack of Prevention' research would seem more suited.

Once the Video Game Capital of the World for about two-and-a-half years in the early 1980s. A few games are on display at Market on Main.

A smooth, delicious iced coffee from Oskaloosa's Kahawa Cup, left, found in the welcoming confines of Market on Main. Center and right, For listeners of Matt and Mattingly's Ice Cream Social, Pigasus represents in Ottumwa. Profiting as usual off the slaughter of his wingless brethren. #FYITF

There's many colors in the local honey rainbow, left, at Market on Main. Doing what comes naturally at the Tom-Tom Tap, center, a classic watering hole nestled in a corner of the Hotel Ottumwa. Right, Once this parking space at the Ottumwa station was reserved for 'Museum Jim', but not anymore.

No comments: