temp

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Escape to George the Chili King Drive-Inn

Four-fifths into a particularly grueling week at work, I needed a break. Between crashing the Iowa State Fair for a grinder or making a run for chili dogs, I opted for the latter. Jim's Coney Island on S.E. Ninth serves up beer with their dogs, a plus in my book [see blog post]. Also they lay claim to the original chili recipe of the original downtown Coney Island restaurant. It's good, but compared to the competition it is the blandest.

Ted's Coney Island on Ingersoll broke away from the original recipe with a more peppery chili. Also you can get your coney in a basket brimming with onion rings, fries and cole slaw [see blog post]. All good stuff, but the vibe inside feels more like an antiseptic chain eatery than a neighborhood chili joint.

Which brings me to George The Chili King off the corner of Hickman and Merle Hay Roads. What this joint lacks in Ted's faux suburban modernity and Jim's ice-cold bottles of Bud more than makes up with good food that is very, very bad for you.

George's chili is akin to Ted's, but with more a greasy mouthfeel. I wish I could tell you what the seasonings were in this brown gravy goo. Even if I did knew, I'd likely end up in the next batch of chili before I could divulge any secrets.

George the Chili King on Urbanspoon

No comments: