temp

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Guys and Dolls should take note of Northside Nathan's

Growing up you’ve likely had your share of 'pan pizza' served up by a well-known national pizza chain that rhymes with 'slut.' Ra knows I have, and developed a dislike of its bready, often doughy texture.

On a recent visit to Northside Nathan’s, on W. Lake Mead in Las Vegas, I had the opportunity to try a far superior example.

Northside Nathan’s has its roots in Detroit, the Malinowski family having opened a eatery there back in 1969. A newer generation brought Detroit-style pizza to Las Vegas and has since garnered two Best of Las Vegas awards for their thick deep-dish crust that also sports a crunchy texture. It’s this crispness that gives this pizza its appeal.

Northside Nathan’s identifies their popular combos after the name of the popular musical Guys and Dolls and its cast of characters. I mostly noshed on Sister Sarah's "Very" Veggie. The thick crust is surprisingly crunchy with an eye-catching golden color on the bottom, with a decent mix of standard veggie toppings atop.

It’s a good pizza, of that there is no doubt. If I had a gaggle of youth to feed, this would be an optimal place to stuff their yammering maws with fun, satisfying pizza and slake their thirsts with unlimited refills of fountain soda.

Connoisseurs of fizzy sugar water and juggalos take note. Northside Nathan’s carries cans of Faygo, a Detroit-based soda offered in a plethora of flavors, and the preferred drink that the Insane Clown Posse baptises their concert-goers with.

I still have my preference and thin, crispy Tavern-style will always be my choice. But if my Vegas crew treats me to Northside Nathan’s again, I will go happily.

Northside Nathan's on Urbanspoon

No comments: