temp

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Recent eats: Paul Revere's Pizza, Mullets, B-Bop's

Paul Revere's Pizza may be a Cedar Rapids-based franchise of pizzerias scattered mostly across Eastern Iowa, but the pair operating in Des Moines have always seemed to operate as a separate entity. In fact they're not even listed on the corporation's website.

Their pizza isn't exceptional, but it is cheesy. Friends of mine in the Kingman neighborhood enjoyed the occasional sausage and mushroom pizza, but I like my Paul Revere's pizza even simpler with just a scattering of pepperoni, as shown here on a 20-inch I had delivered while dog-sitting earlier this year.


I'm a fan of breakfast at Mullets [see blog post], especially so of their hearty breakfast burrito. On my last visit I took the side of salsa verde and mixed it into a small bowl of sausage gravy. A perfect burrito topper! But ask for a plate so you can smother it.


B-Bop's is the favorite choice of many Central Iowans for burgers, fries, and shakes. Of late I've tried the half-pound BBQ Bacon Cheddar Burger with Sweet Baby Ray's barbeque sauce, pickles, and onions; and the B.L.T., uniquely built on a sesame seed bun. But what I've enjoyed the most is the tasty chili. A loose, tomatoey concoction, B-Bop's chili is as homey as it gets. Shredded cheese offered as a topper quickly melts into the soupy brew, complimenting its saucy essence. Crushed saltines soften when added and contribute a welcoming body.

Paul Revere's Pizza on Urbanspoon

No comments: