temp

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Drinks along S. Virginia followed by excess at the Little Nugget Diner.
Spring Vacation 2013, Part 9


Friday, May 10

“Can't sleep, clown will eat me…”

Rough night of sleeping on a new bed, and the first night since Sunday without sharing the bed with Okie. I'll miss that dog.

I walked a short distance to Bavarian World, a surprisingly expansive, restaurant, bar, bakery, deli and ethnic grocery for breakfast [see blog post].

Later in the day I take a walk down S. Virginia before saddling up to the bar at Shea's Tavern, a loud, rough and tumble Irish bar. I enjoy a pint of Rogue Dead Guy Ale, and Slane Castle Irish whiskey served neat in a dirty glass – dried JΓ€germeister I presume. All served up by a comely barkeep, tatted and slightly zaftig, with Tom Jones on the jukebox. That's how to start an afternoon!

At my next stop at the Reno Public House I took the opportunity to reacquaint my palate with Japanese whiskey, which I love. And now I love Hibiki 12, a fine Suntory blend. Following that dram, I tried High Water Brewing's Campfire Stout, a deep, black, dense stout – each batch made with 100 lbs. of crushed graham crackers. Delicious!

Taking a hint on where to find some quality package liquor I seek out Craft Wine & Beer, a few doors off S. Virginia on Martin. A higher-end wine & liquor purveyor plus bar, I pick up a couple of bottles of Slane Castle to go and settle down for a Stone Brewing Imperial Russian Stout. One of the best impressions of the style, notes of deep espresso nails it rightly.

A quick pint and a wee nosh on the dregs of happy hour appetizers at Ceol Irish Pub finishes the afternoon. Enjoying a mouthful of sliced summer sausage while taking a leak is bliss, but not when the inedible casing is still attached. Ptooey!

That night I get a serious hot dog jones. I seek out a wiener fix at an old favorite, the Little Nugget Diner [see blog post]. Foolishly I order up two of the Diner's tricked-out half-pound Awesome Dogs, one piled up with sauerkraut, and another topped with another half-pound of spicy chili and cheese. The franks are split lengthwise and grilled on the flat top.

I was able to put down the chili & cheese dog, but only part of the dog covered in kraut. My downfall to even attempt to eat, it was not a good night for sleeping. Alcohol before food, never good.

Little Nugget Diner on Urbanspoon

No comments: