temp

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Beer, spirits, and merriment on East Fourth in Reno

Delightful beers from The Depot Craft Brewery Distillery. The Wanderer double IPA, left. Hoppy as heck with mellowing malt and caramel flavors. Exceptional! 9.2% ABV, 110 IBU. Il Padrino, right, a Belgian-style ale fermented with Italian plums, aged in red wine barrels. So refined. 9.0% ABV, 10 IBU.

St. George Spirits' Botanivore gin, left, is an explosion of herbs and spices, flowing smoothly across the tongue. It would reinvent any standard gin cocktail, but I couldn't bring myself to dilute this fine elixir. I may try a drop of water, as I do on occasion with whiskey, to see what subtle alchemy results. Right, St. George Spirits' NOLA coffee liqueur is stunning. Surprisingly smooth and flavorful, I can imagine what a fine White Russian this would create.

I went to Abby's Highway 40 and all I got was this kick-ass T-shirt for my pal Abby, plus a Jameson hangover, and sound advice from Donnie Schwartz, the owner, on where to eat later in the evening.

No comments: