temp

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

March getaway to Chicago: Day 2

Feeling rather lazy, I didn't crawl out of the apartment until after seven. I took a pair of CTA buses to the Bridgeport neighborhood around W. 35th & S. Halsted to check out a classic chili joint, the Ramova Grill [see blog post].

Afterward I retraced my steps back home with a brief stopover at Union Station to acquire a train ticket back to Iowa. Much to my surprise I found out that my state I.D. had expired nine months ago. I would have thought that some teller at the credit union should have spotted that sooner.

Back home I wrote a food blog, ate some leftover Gino's East pizza from last night [see blog spot], took a nap, and ventured out again to scope out a couple of food joints on my wish list, settling on Downtown Dogs. The place was plastered with photos of dogs on the front counter, on the walls, even video loops of privileged pups on LCD screens. Their Chicago Dog was fairly decent, comparing quite favorably to my favorite hot dog purveyor in the neighborhood, Mister J's [see blog post], a small bag of Vitner's potato chips was a bonus.

Pleasantly sated, I perused the shopping malls on the Magnificent Mile for gifts, snagging some chewy sour green apple balls and a LEGO® Chewbacca.

Having viewed the upscale food mall options at Water Tower Place I returned home and ate the remaining pizza in the fridge, with a Christopher's Big Cherry for dessert. Very similar to the Cherry Mash and the Twin Bing [see blog post], but with an added whole cherry in the core.

Downtown Dogs on Urbanspoon

No comments: