temp

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Crisp crust and toppings aplenty at Omaha's La Casa Pizzaria.

Summertime visits to Omaha, Part 4;
July 19, 2014

After nearly eleven hours walking and drinking about Omaha, I finally came to my ultimate destination, La Casa Pizzaria at S. 45th & Leavenworth. Upon entering, the aroma of Romano cheese baking in the pizza ovens was intoxicating! I moderated my beer consumption to accommodate, but I did indulge in the pleasure of a limoncello with club soda while waiting for my pizza, a medium with one side Classic Hamburger, and Margherita on the other. Both sides came with an unbroken veneer of toppings.

The Classic Hamburger offers finely ground beef precooked slowly with onions and seasonings, with choice of romano or mozzarella cheese, or a combination of both. Extra hamburger topping is also an option.

The crust on the Margherita is brushed with garlic olive oil, topped with homemade tomato sauce, diced roma tomatoes, fresh basil, oregano, mozzarella, and a touch of romano cheese. Chicken is an optional add-on.

La Casa's crust is really freakin' thin, crisp and sturdy yet flaky, with a crunchy, pie dough-like rind, and a richly golden crust. How La Casa accomplishes this is to grill the pizzas after baking. It makes for one of the most unique pizzas I've ever eaten, and is now my favorite pizza in Omaha, with Orsi's pan-style pizza coming a close second [see blog post].

The Classic Hamburger at La Casa Pizzaria.

Pizza Margherita at La Casa Pizzaria.

No comments: