temp

Monday, February 11, 2013

Return to Abelardo's: A hit and a surprising miss.

I really like Abelardo's burritos [see blog post], but curiosity compelled me to try other items on their menu.

When I think of huevos rancheros I usually expect a pair of eggs over easy swimming in a loose, spicy red sauce. What I found on my plate at Abelardo's was a thick mixture of diced and grilled tomatoes, peppers and onions topped with eggs over hard. Not the delicious melange of egg yolk and sauce I so enjoy to sop up with warm flour tortilla. The thick, tangy veggie mix is plentiful as are the rice and beans, but overall I'm disappointed. Best to stick with Los Laureles' more traditional take [see blog post].

Abelardo's crispy fried tacos were far more satisfying. Simply stuffed with seasoned ground beef, finely shredded cheese, and chopped lettuce, they're pretty damn close to what Henry J's on S.W. Ninth offers [see blog post]. Henry J's may boast a superior shell, but their bean and beef mixture leaves something to be desired, namely taste. Abelardo's suffers not in that regard, boasting a classic taco seasoning packet flavor. It's no Tasty Tacos [see blog post], but it'll do in a pinch.

Abelardo's on Urbanspoon

No comments: